Subject: [bitcoin-dev] Taproot activation meeting on IRC - Tuesday 2nd February 19:00 UTC

From: Michael Folkson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 12:01:37 +0000

There has been an incredible community effort to make progress towards
consensus on an activation method for the proposed Taproot soft fork.

Special mentions go to David Harding, AJ Towns, Aaron van Wirdum, Jonathan
Bier, Ben Carman, Alejandro De La Torre whose resources are linked below
but there have been many others, too many to name, who have all made an
impact on moving the needle in recent months.

Taproot activation proposals:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Taproot_activation_proposals

Activating Soft Forks in Bitcoin:
http://www.erisian.com.au/wordpress/2020/10/26/activating-soft-forks-in-bitcoin

BIP 8, BIP 9 or Modern Soft Fork Activation: How Bitcoin Could Upgrade
Next:
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bip-8-bip-9-or-modern-soft-fork-activation-how-bitcoin-could-upgrade-next

Bitcoin Softfork Activation Methodology:
https://blog.bitmex.com/bitcoin-softfork-activation-methodology/

Activating Taproot: https://suredbits.com/activating-taproot/

Taproot activation website: https://taprootactivation.com/

In an effort to get this closer to the finish line we are organizing a
meeting on IRC on the ##taproot-activation channel on Tuesday 2nd February
at 19:00 UTC. The primary objective will be to finalize the revised BIP 8
activation method but general questions or discussion on Taproot activation
are welcome too. There is lots of prior context so please do sufficient
pre-reading in advance of attending if you would like to participate.

The relevant pull requests relating to revised BIP 8 are:

Replace unused BIP 9 logic with draft BIP 8 (Bitcoin Core PR)

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19573

BIP 8: Make signalling during LOCKED_IN recommended rather than mandatory
(BIP PR)

https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/1020

BIP 8: allow some MUST_SIGNAL blocks to not signal (BIP PR)

https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/1021

Feel free to post comments or questions at any time on the
##taproot-activation channel IRC in advance or following the meeting.

-- 
Michael Folkson
Email: [email-masked]
Keybase: michaelfolkson
PGP: 43ED C999 9F85 1D40 EAF4 9835 92D6 0159 214C FEE3