Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Roadmap 2015, or "If We Do Nothing" Analysis

From: Dave Scotese <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 19:23:00 -0700

Incentivize investigations for public consumption.  The people on this list
are the ones who probably care the most.

When I looked up that IP address, the Whois info names "OVH" and "Octave
Klaba" (who founded OVH, according to Wikipedia) as the owner.  "
blockchain.info" appears in the HTML header as retrieved by the
"Anti-Hacker Alliance" (
http://anti-hacker-alliance.com/index.php?details=37.187.136.15).
Blockchain.info itself returns IP addresses managed by CloudFlare whenever
I try it.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Slurms MacKenzie via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> They do not run anything but BitcoinJ (evidenced by them blindly following
> invalid chains), so no proper consensus checking going on here at all.
> Connected to my nodes is a bad peer (doesn’t relay inventory but downloads
> everything) from 37.187.136.15, with the user agent
> /BitcoinJ:0.12SNAPHOT/Satoshi:0.2.0/ which is owned by blockchain.info.
> You can also submit an invalid transaction through their /pushtx interface
> and get a mixture of noise and BitcoinJ error messages out of it as well.
>
> If even the people who have to their claim hundreds of thousands of
> wallets are relying on their security don’t bother running even a single
> node to sanity check against, who are we really going to expect people to
> in the future if the load goes 8x, 16x, 32x higher? Like CoinBase and
> others, these are the companies which are claimed will be the ones
> supporting the network with ludicrous sized blocks because they have a
> financial incentive to.
>
> Well, they don't even do it now when it could be achieved with a $5 VPS.
>
>
> > Sent: Friday, July 24, 2015 at 8:43 PM
> > From: "Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev" <
> [email-masked]>
> > To: "Thomas Zander" <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Roadmap 2015, or "If We Do Nothing"
> Analysis
> > We can test the fact that blockchain.info's wallet and block explorer
> > has behaved in a way consistent with not running a full node - they have
> > shown invalid data that any full node would reject on multiple
> > occasions, most recently invalid confirmations during the BIP66 fork.
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>