Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Fwd: [BIP 15] Aliases

From: Jorge Timón <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 23:51:48 +0100

What if we specify "bitcoin" to make it easier for software (maybe the
browser, a plugin for the browser, the bitcoin client analyzing the
clipboard...) to easily detect that you expect a bitcoin address when
going to url?
If puted in the bitcoin client, the "bitcoin://" is optional (? and
can also be replaced by http ?) since from the context you already
expect an address or an url that will give you the address.

In the browser:

bitcoin://address
bitcoin://rest_of_url

In the bitcoin client:

address
rest_of_url
bitcoin://address
bitcoin://rest_of_url
http://rest_of_url  ??

Maybe in the bitcoin client you can put any site and the client
downloads the web to look for occurrences of "bitcoin://" (? or just
valid addresses ?) in it. It caches and shows them to you to decide
what to do with each one.
I have used other programs (jdownloader) that read the clipboard
looking for patterns in links and is very convenient.

Maybe then parameters for the client can be added to this.

bitcoin://address?amount=10.53
bitcoin://rest_of_url?amount=10.53&green_address=r
bitcoin://rest_of_url?amount=10.53&green_address=r&green_address_list=address1,address2,address3

Whatever the community have planned for bitcoin URIs.