Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] What to expect in the next few weeks

From: Billy Tetrud <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 00:10:53 -0500

>   assuming people pay attention and listen to the individuals who were
trusted during that period

Bitcoin is not run by a group of authorities of olde. By asking people to
trust "those.. around in 2015-2017" you're asking people to blindly trust
authorities. This, in my strong opinion, goes against the bitcoin ethos,
and is an incredibly harmful way to push for your agenda. I'd very much
recommend you reassess the way you're going about what you're trying to do.
I fear you risk losing respect in the community by implying without any
evidence that certain people are "taking advantage" of some situation and
attempting "to confuse".

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 12:33 PM Michael Folkson via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> If the next few weeks go how I fear they will it could get messy. If you
> care about Bitcoin's consensus rules I'd request you pay attention so you
> can make an informed view on what to run and what to support. For those of
> you who were around in 2015-2017 you'll know what to expect. The right
> outcome endured in 2017 and I'm sure the right outcome will endure here
> assuming people pay attention and listen to the individuals who were
> trusted during that period. There are always a large number of motivated
> parties who are incentivized to break nodes off from Bitcoin and may seek
> to take advantage of a contentious soft fork activation attempt.
>
> Remember that if all the information is presented to users in a clear way
> well ahead of time then they can make their own mind up. I fear that things
> will be made as convoluted as possible in a way intended to confuse and
> information will be withheld until the last minute. When in doubt it is
> generally better to rely on the status quo and tried and trusted. In this
> case that would be Bitcoin Core. Alternative releases such as those seeking
> to attempt to activate CTV or indeed those seeking to resist the activation
> of CTV really should only be considered if you are informed on exactly what
> you are running.
>
> If you are interested in the effort to resist the contentious soft fork
> activation attempt of CTV please join ##ursf on Libera IRC.
>
> Have a good weekend. Hopefully those behind this contentious soft fork
> activation attempt will see sense and we can go back to more productive
> things than resisting contentious soft forks.
>
> --
> Michael Folkson
> Email: michaelfolkson at protonmail.com
> Keybase: michaelfolkson
> PGP: 43ED C999 9F85 1D40 EAF4 9835 92D6 0159 214C FEE3
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>