Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Even more proposed BIP extensions to BIP 0070

From: James MacWhyte <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 20:56:40 +0000

Thanks for starting this discussion, Erik.

> Should this be a new BIP?  I know netki's BIP75 is out there - but I think
> it's too specific and too reliant on the domain name system.
>

This is not quite accurate. BIP75 is designed to be independent of any name
resolution system. You could use it with a static URL that you share, for
example, or even use it to implement a mesh-network payment system over
bluetooth. Netki's wallet names do use DNS, but that isn't related to this
discussion.

What BIP75 *does* do is provide a way for a client to get a new payment
address for every payment. I personally think it is better than BIP47 for
the uses you mentioned (subscriptions, etc).

I'm glad you brought up identity methods other than x509. At breadwallet we
are thinking about how to establish the most universal system, and letting
users identify themselves with any of a selection of identity systems is
ideal. I think the pki_data slot should be constantly expanded to allow new
identity types, but they should be explained/standardized in the BIPs that
add them and use universal names. "netki://" wouldn't be appropriate, for
example, if their method is open sourced and possibly used by others--it
should instead be given a product name like "dnswallet://" or something
more clever.

James