Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Fortune Cookies to Bitcoin Seed

From: James MacWhyte <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 17:05:54 -0800

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 4:39 PM Trey Del Bonis via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Keeping 20 around is a little excessive but it gives 390700800 possible
> wallets. So security can be trivially parameterized based on how secure you
> want your wallet to be if someone finds your stash.
>

Mid-level hardware can check 50k addresses per second, which means it would
only take around 2 hours to check all possibilities. So please don't think
this presents any kind of challenge to someone who finds your 20 pieces of
paper and assumes you would only keep them if they are hiding your wallet ;)

Entropy-wise, simply using a strong RNG would provide a better result than
relying on the printing company. Maybe they only print 35 different
combinations and assume people don't eat Chinese food enough to notice?

If it's poor entropy and doesn't really provide any protection against
being brute forced if found, I'm not sure why you would want to go
this route :)

James