Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Alert System

From: Will <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 20:25:22 +0100

> In fact, I think the alert system should relay (note, NOT display) messages
> *regardless of the key used*, so it isn't yet another "our client gets
> special
> status" thing, and can be used for other clients as well.
>
>
> Be careful though, if you relay everything, it suddenly *does* have DDoS
potential...

no more than other messages such as transactions.

>Maybe require a proof-of-work then?

kind of defeats the purpose of the alert if it takes a long time to issue
one.

I think leave the alert in, but relay alert messages even if they don't use
the correct key.  This means that if we later decide to add new keys to the
alert root trust then older clients will still relay these.

my .02btc

Will