Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] User Resisted Soft Fork for CTV

From: Zac Greenwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:03:51 +0200

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 at 09:56, Keagan McClelland via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I think that trying to find ways to activate non-invasive changes should
> be everyone's goal, *even if* they personally may not have an immediate use
> case
>

A change that increases the number of use cases of Bitcoin affects all
users and is *not* non-invasive. More use cases means more blockchain usage
which increases the price of a transaction for *everyone*.

I like the maxim of Peter Todd: any change of Bitcoin must benefit *all*
users. This means that every change must have well-defined and transparent
benefits. Personally I believe that the only additions to the protocol that
would still be acceptable are those that clearly benefit layer 2 solutions
such as LN *and* do not carry the dangerous potential of getting abused by
freeloaders selling commercial services on top of “free” eternal storage on
the blockchain.

Zac