Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] OP_RETURN inside TapScript

From: Zac Greenwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 02:12:34 +0100

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

Any benefits of my proposal depend on my presumption that using a standard
transaction for storing data must be inefficient. Presumably a transaction
takes up significantly more on-chain space than the data it carries within
its OP_RETURN. Therefore, not requiring a standard transaction for data
storage should be more efficient. Facilitating data storage within some
specialized, more space-efficient data structure at marginally lower fee
per payload-byte should enable reducing the footprint of storing data
on-chain.

In case storing data through OP_RETURN embedded within a transaction is
optimal in terms of on-chain footprint then my proposal doesn’t seem useful.

Zac

On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 at 01:05, ZmnSCPxj <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Good morning Zac,
>
> > Reducing the footprint of storing data on-chain might better be achieved
> by *supporting* it.
> >
> > Currently storing data is wasteful because it is embedded inside an
> OP_RETURN within a transaction structure. As an alternative, by supporting
> storing of raw data without creating a transaction, waste can be reduced.
>
> If the data is not embedded inside a transaction, how would I be able to
> pay a miner to include the data on the blockchain?
>
> I need a transaction in order to pay a miner anyway, so why not just embed
> it into the same transaction I am using to pay the miner?
> (i.e. the current design)
>
>
>
>
> Regards,
> ZmnSCPxj
>