Subject: [Bitcoin-development] Proposal: remove "getwork" RPC from bitcoind

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:27:01 -0400

Pull request https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2905 proposes to
remove "getwork" RPC from bitcoind: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Getwork

On mainnet, almost everybody uses a pool (and therefore, not "getwork"
directly to bitcoind).  Those few who solo mine use a pool server to
talk to bitcoind via "getblocktemplate" or other means.  Tests show
that attempts to solo mine on mainnet via "getwork" lead to delays and
problems.

On testnet, getwork has a better chance of continuing to work.
Nevertheless, the same tools (open source pool servers or p2pool) are
available for testnet, obviating the continued need to support
getwork.

However, at one time, getwork to bitcoind was widely used.  I wanted
to poke the audience, to gauge response to removing "getwork."  If a
driving use case remains of which we're unaware, speak up, please.  We
don't want to break anybody needlessly.

-- 
Jeff Garzik
Senior Software Engineer and open source evangelist
BitPay, Inc.      https://bitpay.com/