Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Block Size Increase

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 11:04:58 -0400

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Justus Ranvier <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On 05/07/2015 04:04 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > - This is a major change to the economics of a $3.2B system.  This
> > change picks winners and losers.  There is attendant moral hazard.
>
> This is exactly true.
>
> There are a number of projects which aren't Bitcoin that benefit from
> filling in the gap left by Bitcoin's restricted transaction rate
> capability.
>
> If Bitcoin fills that gap, Bitcoin wins and those other projects lose.
>
> Should decisions about Bitcoin development take into account the
> desires of competing projects?

heh - I tend to think people here want bitcoin to succeed.  My statement
refers to picking winners and losers from within the existing bitcoin
community & stakeholders.

The existential question of the block size increase is larger - will
failing to increase the 1MB limit permanently stunt bitcoin's growth?