Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] DNS seeds unstable

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 13:41:31 -0400

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:50 AM, Andreas Schildbach
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'm bringing this issue up again. The current Bitcoin DNS seed
> infrastructure is unstable. I assume this is because of we're using a
> custom DNS implementation which is not 100% compatible. There have been
> bugs in the past, like a case sensitive match for the domain name.

While I agree that the problem seeds should be fixed, it also sounds
like a problem with bitcoinj / other layers, if a malfunctioning seed
is a problem for your app.

Seeds are fundamentally a backup for peer exchange.  You are going to
run into problems if you rely 100% on seeds, always.

Further, there are multiple seeds so that we are not impacted if a
couple seeds malfunction or die.  All bitcoin apps must take this into
account.

-- 
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist
BitPay, Inc.      https://bitpay.com/