Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Proposal to add the bitcoin symbol to Unicode

From: Danny Thorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 13:28:41 -0700

What of this prior effort, proposing B-with-horizontal-bar (Ƀ)?
http://bitcoinsymbol.org/

They argue that B-with-2-vertical-bars is easily confused with the Thai
Bhat currency symbol, which is a B with a single vertical bar.

I'm not terribly fond of the B-with-horizontal-bar as a symbol, but it does
have the advantage that it is already in the Unicode glyph set, already
available on most Unicode enabled devices.

-Danny

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Ken Shirriff via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Use of the bitcoin symbol in text is inconvenient, because the bitcoin
> symbol isn't in the Unicode standard. To fix this, I've written a proposal
> to have the common B-with-vertical-bars bitcoin symbol added to Unicode.
> I've successfully proposed a new character for Unicode before, so I'm
> familiar with the process and think this has a good chance of succeeding.
> The proposal is at http://righto.com/bitcoin-unicode.pdf
>
> I received a suggestion to run this proposal by the bitcoin-dev group, so
> I hope this email is appropriate here. Endorsement by Bitcoin developers
> will help the Unicode Committee realize the importance of adding this
> symbol, so please let me know if you support this proposal.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>
>