Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Change to multiple executables?

From: John Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:26:30 +0000

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Matt Corallo <[email-masked]>wrote:

> I would argue its less clear for the user.  Instead of opening either
> bitcoind or bitcoin to get RPC or GUI, now you have to open bitcoin and
> bitcoind or bitcoincl and bitcoind.  Now, obviously bitcoin and
> bitcoincl can open bitcoind for you, but I think adding more executables
> complicates things for little clear advantage.
>

UI would obviously still have RPC functionality with -server. I don't mean
dropping that. The UI links both the UI and the network code (for now, until
this is separated out and the preferred UI<->core communication method is
through RPC).

I just mean that the *headless* daemon is separate from the UI executable,
which is the case for any other sane client/server-based program in
existence, from bittorrent nodes to game servers.

It would also make it possible to build the command line RPC client
(bitcoin-cl) *without* building the server or UI. Useful if you want to
remotely control a Bitcoin daemon but not want to build it locally.

JS