Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Reconsider build system change?

From: John Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 18:03:49 +0000

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Douglas Huff <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2011, at 12:31 PM, John Smith wrote:
> > So, what about native build script generation for other platforms?
> autotools can only generate makefiles (with at least two intermediate code
> generation steps), which is quite limited.
>
> This would be true if gmake didn't build/run basically everywhere; but, it
> does.
>

It doesn't for the native build systems on at least Windows and OSX. Yes,
you can get gmake to run, but it's a hack.

> I would say that's actually a mark against cmake. If you need a gui to
> select build options because your cli doesn't have proper help output
> something is wrong.
>

You don't need to use the UI. It's just a convenience. Command line can
simply be used if you want.

> If you're willing to setup and maintain a cmake build environment I
> wouldn't say it should be rejected outright. Speculating about it without an
> implementation to compare seems like a waste of time.
>

As I said in my opening post, there *is* a cmake build system implemented
for bitcoin.

JS