Subject: [Bitcoin-development] Web Crypto -- Named Curve Dictionary (adding secp256k1)

From: Melvin Carvalho <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 19:09:59 +0100

Harry and David suggested I send a message to this group.  I was wondering
if the crypto group may consider adding support for *secp256k1* in the
browser Named Curve dictionary.

http://www.w3.org/TR/WebCryptoAPI/#EcKeyGenParams-dictionary

enum NamedCurve {
  // NIST recommended curve P-256, also known as secp256r1.
  "P-256",
  // NIST recommended curve P-384, also known as secp384r1.
  "P-384",
  // NIST recommended curve P-521, also known as secp521r1.
  "P-521"
};

Over the last year, there has been a significant increase in deployment for
this curve.  It's used in bitcoin and many other crypto currencies.
Bitcoin deployment now numbers in the millions of users and hundreds of
companies.  There are also free software implementations in most
languages.

For more background on Koblitz curve used by bitcoin see:

https://bitcointalk.org/?topic=2699.0

I'm aware that the API tends to expose what's existing in NSS, but, imho,
if it were possible to add support for this curve would be a great step to
help to many people that already work with crypto currencies in the browser.