Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Message Signing based authentication

From: Melvin Carvalho <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 17:52:20 +0100

On 2 November 2013 17:26, Mike Hearn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Guys, identity systems for the web are off-topic for this list. Other than
> the anonymous passports/SINs/fidelity bond ideas, Bitcoin doesn't have any
> relevance to it.
>
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Hannu Kotipalo <[email-masked]>wrote:
>
>> Maybe this is a bit off-topic, but the *real* answer to the question
>> "why-is-nobody-using-ssl-client-certificates" is that it would force
>> www pages to be encrypted and would make it a lot more difficult for
>> NSA to log www-trafic.
>>
>
> No, it wouldn't. You can log a user in using SSL and then redirect the
> user back to an encrypted page, using cookies for the rest of the session.
> Please don't clutter up this list with conspiracy theories. The brutal
> reality is that identity is a hard problem.
>

Identity need not be a hard problem.  In my view it is a solved problem.

You have a real world entity translated to a digital format.  Yes that can
be slightly ambiguous at time, naming is hard, and people do get this wrong
frequently.

The most common problem is to name something in a way that does not scale.
The solution to this problem is rather easy, and that is to use a URI to
name something, which makes it global and scalable.

In the case of bitcoin you could have use the bitcion URI scheme

bitcion:1fhdjkfhjksf...

>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Android is increasing in popularity, but the open development platform that
> developers love is also attractive to malware creators. Download this white
> paper to learn more about secure code signing practices that can help keep
> Android apps secure.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=65839951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
> _______________________________________________
> Bitcoin-development mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development
>
>