Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Service bits for pruned nodes

From: Ricardo Filipe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 17:23:23 +0100

Of course.
My proposal was just for the pruned nodes.
I.e. You would have a majority (maybe not even a majority required) of
nodes storing the whole blockchain and pruned nodes would store
"random" parts of the blockchain, according to the resources they
have, which would be organized as a DHT.

2013/5/16 Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>:
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Ricardo Filipe
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> We would only end up with few copies of the historic data if users
>> could choose what parts of the blockchain to store. Simply store
>> chunks randomly, according to users available space, and give priority
>> to the "N most recent" chunks to have more replicas in the network.
>>
>> You don't need bittorrent specifically for a DHT, if publicity is a
>> problem. There are many DHT proposals and implementations, and i bet
>> one of them should be more suitable to the bitcoin network than
>> bittorrent's.
>
> That's just about the worst thing you could do for bitcoin.  DoS one
> part of the DHT, you DoS the entire blockchain by breaking the chain.
>
> --
> Jeff Garzik
> exMULTI, Inc.
> [email-masked]