Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Paper Currency

From: Alex Kotenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 19:47:46 +0100

Erm, few things here.
​- I can't see really how to embed electronics capable to run an SPV
cli​ent into printed paper. I know that passive NFC tags can be printed on
paper, but not actual chips and/or power modules. So we are talking about a
completely different things here.
- even with paper notes printed proprietarily by some business the notes
itself still can have routes for independent blockchain-based verification,
and you won't need to trust anybody to test it. You will have to trust
security of the notes itself, but this is same as when you trust the phone
manufacturer when you're putting your bitcoin wallet on it.

​So really I see ​only issues of technical security in here, and this is
the problem I'm seeking solutions for.

Best regards,
Alex Kotenko

2014-05-18 14:50 GMT+01:00 Natanael <[email-masked]>:

> Now you are talking about Trusted Platform Modules. Like smartcards,
> actually. Devices that won't leak their keys but let the holder spend the
> coins. It could even have it's own simple SPV wallet client to make it
> easier to handle. And they'd use the attestation features provided by the
> TPM to prove the software it's unmodified top the current holder.
>
> But then you still have to trust the manufacturer of the device, and you
> have to trust it has no exploitable side channels.
>
> - Sent from my phone
> Den 18 maj 2014 13:52 skrev "Alex Kotenko" <[email-masked]>:
> ​
>