Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Why OpenTimestamps does not "linearize" its transactions

From: "Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 21:21:29 -0400

> I do reiterate that it is blindingly easy to pin a public hash to the
> bitcoin blockchain that asserts the earliest publication of a document
> or collection of documents, and that this is desperately needed, to
> protect the accuracy of history when it is not safe.

The concern raised here relates to scaling, and here we disagree on
the proper direction of Bitcoin. To me it seems clear that Bitcoin was
designed to scale better than it has. It honestly looks like
developers are arbitrarily avoiding storing much data on chain, with
quickly shoehorned solutions like the lightning protocol. Bitcoin
simply got big too fast. I believe it was intended to handle large
data smoothly: not with single gigabyte blocks that every user must
store, but with simplistically designed and well-backed decentralised
propagation and storage of data. I see that not having happened due to
mostly political issues, and that's unfortunate, but other chains have
made strides here.

I don't think satoshi was familiar with how people behave when they
have a lot of money.