Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] On a new community process to specify covenants

From: Antoine Riard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 23:21:11 -0400

What would be the canonical definition and examples of capabilities in the
Bitcoin context ?

In anycase, I believe it would be better to start a covenant process from
the use-cases in themselves, and analyse the trade-offs of any set of
contracting primitives, or even new Bitcoin fields if they're required
building blocks of the use-cases.

Le dim. 24 juil. 2022 à 14:23, Bram Cohen <[email-masked]> a écrit :

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 2:46 PM Antoine Riard via bitcoin-dev <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Indeed this range has grown wild. Without aiming to be exhaustive (I'm
>> certainly missing some interesting proposals lost in the abyss of
>> bitcointalk.org), we can mention the following use-cases: multi-party
>> stateful contracts [11], congestion trees [12], payment pools [13], "eltoo"
>> layered commitments [14], programmable vaults [15], multi-events contracts
>> [16], blockchain-as-oracle bets [17], spacechains [18], trustless
>> collateral lending [19], ...
>>
>
> The big question you missed is whether capabilities are in scope for a
> covenants proposal. In particular, vaults work a lot better when payments
> to them are immediately locked up in the vault rather than it having to do
> a step to accept them first.
>