Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Seeking concept ACKs for transaction terminology BIP

From: Keagan McClelland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:20:53 -0400

Concept ACK,

The only way we can hope to have productive discussion is to minimize the
amount of effort spent in miscommunication especially that which arises
from unclear terminology. Which exact words refer to which meanings is
somewhat arbitrary, (look at math, particularly abstract math), but what
matters is that there is precision in their use to whatever degree is
possible. Having a document of shared terminology helps us communicate with
one another and speeds up the process of coming to social consensus on
issues.

Stay Inspired,
Keags

On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 2:54 PM Murch via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Over the years, I have participated in a few conversations about various
> aspects of transactions. Often a chunk of the conversation is spent on
> establishing a shared vocabulary. There are many competing terms—e.g. I
> can think of at least three additional terms that refer to `scriptPubKey`.
>
> I’ve drafted an informational BIP that proposes terminology for various
> components and aspects of transactions. As some established terms are
> already contradictory, the proposal does not aim for a perfectly
> consistent selection of terms, but rather just to establish a shared
> vocabulary to avoid confusion.
>
> Draft: https://github.com/Xekyo/bips/pull/1
>
> Please let me know whether you’d be interested in the creation of such a
> BIP.
>
> Cheers,
> Murch
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>