Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Future of the bitcoin-dev mailing list

From: Keagan McClelland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 13:03:09 -0800

I also think that good archives are extremely important. Far more important
than being a medium of discussion is capturing all of that discussion for
posterity. An unbelievable amount of knowledge capital has been built up in
the mailing list over the years and given that Bitcoin is a system that
needs to survive complete turnover in its contributor base, it's of extreme
importance that we have a system that can capture the archive.

While Nostr might be good towards the end of being very resilient it isn't
mature enough to have good UX's built up around it wherein people with a
variety of backgrounds can engage it. Personally, I think the email UX
leaves a lot to be desired but at least it's accessible to a lot of people.
I don't think I can say the same for Nostr yet.

I won't opine much further on the solution but I think the properties we
need to solve for are:

1. Archive is effectively permanent
2. Accessible to a wide audience
3. Data format is not proprietary and isn't tied to the success or failure
of a particular organization

In principle I think that Nostr can offer a lot in the long term towards
this goal, but it isn't really an immediate solution to this problem.

Keags

On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 12:07 PM David A. Harding via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 2023-11-07 05:37, Bryan Bishop via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> > What about [...] delvingbitcoin.org?
>
> I'm only willing to consider discussion groups that provide good
> archives, so I think it's worth noting that James O'Beirne has written
> code[1] and is currently maintaining a git repo[2] with a backup of
> Delving Bitcoin discussion.  See his post[3] for additional details.
>
> In addition to providing an archive, I currently find it to be nice way
> to quickly skim all posts made to the forum since I last checked (plus I
> see edits)[4]:
>
> $ cd delving-bitcoin-archive/
> $ git pull
> $ git log -p archive/rendered-topics/
>
> I think some technical discussions were already migrating to Delving
> Bitcoin before the shutdown notice and I expect more discussions to move
> there in the future even if the current mailing list is relocated to a
> new platform.  Knowing that discussions are archived in a way that I can
> easily replicate was key to me feeling comfortable putting significant
> time into reading and writing posts on Delving Bitcoin, so I wanted to
> share that information here.
>
> -Dave
>
> [1] https://github.com/jamesob/discourse-archive
> [2] https://github.com/jamesob/delving-bitcoin-archive
> [3] https://delvingbitcoin.org/t/public-archive-for-delving-bitcoin/87/6
> [4] Plus every commit makes me laugh.  James O'Beirne's commit robot is
> called "jamesobot"
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>