Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] new bitcoin.org clients page

From: Alan Reiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 15:35:41 -0400

Oh, like I did 3 hours ago?  Gah!  I replied directly to grarpamp by
accident.  Sorry if this seems out of place now...

I'm all for sorting the clients by "ease of use".  We want the smoothest
first experience greeting users new to Bitcoin.  I have grand plans of
defaulting Armory to a standard user mode that is standalone, easy to use,
etc.  But until then, Armory will remain an a power-users thing, and I'd
prefer not to have Bitcoin n00bs emailing me for support before they know
what Bitcoin-Qt is, or, more likely, installing Armory alone and then
walking away when nothing works.

As someone else mentioned previously, the advanced stuff will generally be
found by advanced users.  I think it should still receive exposure through
these means, but not on the top/first row.

I personally think the page should say something like "New to Bitcoin?
Start experiencing Bitcoin with My Phone <menu of phone options>, or My
Desktop <menu of desktop options>"  Put the top 3 on each and either a
button for "More Options", or a short list of other options without
screenshots, and just descriptions with links.  Ideally, it would be sorted
by popularity, because that's probably the most important metric that ties
together all features into a single number, but we don't have good stats on
that.  For now, we settle this by putting Bitcoin-Qt up front, and sort
everything else by how easy it is for users to get started and perceived
popularity and disagreements can be settled by semi-regular rotation.

For now, I don't think ordering is super important.  No one here is
threatening lawsuits for improper placement, and the rotation will be good
to keep the main Bitcoin page looking less stagnant, and slowly exposing
repeat visitors to the variety of options available.

--Alan

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Amir Taaki <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is like the most annoying thing about email. Often with group emails,
> we'll be having a conversation then someone will click reply instead of
> group reply and the convo will go on for a while. Eventually I'll realise
> the persons are missing and add them back in.
>
> On Yahoo mail (which I use for spam/mailing lists), to do reply all
> involves clicking a tab, scrolling down and clicking Reply All. Normally I
> instead go through the steps of reply, delete To, re-enter bitco... select
> drop down, click send.
>
> Anyone know how to make reply all the default in mutt? And how can I
> exclude it from re-including my own email when I do a group reply so I
> don't get the same email again.
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
> To: grarpamp <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:29 PM
> Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] new bitcoin.org clients page
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM, grarpamp <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> Try "Reply to All"
> >
> > That puts the sender in 'to' and list in 'cc',
> > which dupes to the sender and eventually
> > blows out the to and cc lines as everyone
> > chimes in and doesn't trim. 'reply to' solves
> > most of that. assuming the list sw can do it.
>
> "Reply-To" Munging Considered Harmful
> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
>
>
> --
> Jeff Garzik
> exMULTI, Inc.
> [email-masked]
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Live Security Virtual Conference
> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
> threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
> _______________________________________________
> Bitcoin-development mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Live Security Virtual Conference
> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
> threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
> _______________________________________________
> Bitcoin-development mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development
>