Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Fees and the block-finding process

From: Michael Naber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:37:01 -0500

Jorge, As long as Bitcoin remains the best global consensus network -- and
part of being best means being reasonably priced -- then no I don't think
people will be pushed into altcoins. Better money ultimately displaces
worse money, so I don't see a driving force for people to move to other
altcoins as long as Bitcoin remains competitive.

Hitting the limit in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. The
question at hand is whether we should constrain that limit below what
technology is capable of delivering. I'm arguing that not only we should
not, but that we could not even if we wanted to, since competition will
deliver capacity for global consensus whether it's in Bitcoin or in some
other product / fork.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Jorge Timón <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> On Aug 11, 2015 8:46 PM, "Michael Naber" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jorge: Many people would like to participate in a global consensus
> network -- which is a network where all the participating nodes are aware
> of and agree upon every transaction. Constraining Bitcoin capacity below
> the limits of technology will only push users seeking to participate in a
> global consensus network to other solutions which have adequate capacity,
> such as BitcoinXT or others. Note that lightning / hub and spoke do not
> meet requirements for users wishing to participate in global consensus,
> because they are not global consensus networks, since all participating
> nodes are not aware of all transactions.
>
> Even if you are right, first fees will raise and that will be what pushes
> people to other altcoins, no?
> Can we agree that the first step in any potentially bad situation is
> hitting the limit and then fees rising as a consequence?
>