Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Stealth Addresses

From: Ben Davenport <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:22:25 -0800

Love what's happening here, and how quickly things are moving, from initial
concept, to first implementation, to first transaction.

But may I suggest we consider changing the name "stealth address" to
something more neutral?

Already, many people on Reddit and elsewhere are misinterpreting the
purpose of such addresses, whether for tax evasion, criminal activity, or
who knows what. Bitcoin already has plenty of political hurdles based
sheerly on the technology. We don't need to make life harder for ourselves.
Even forgetting about politics, the "stealth" association just seems to
imply something secretive going on. Is a Fortune 500 company or worldwide
charity going to want to use something called a "stealth address"?

I'd propose the alternate term "routing address".

- It's a descriptive, neutral term
- It accurately describes what the address is: it's a way to route payment
to a recipient, but not the actual final address
- It can be analogized to a bank's routing number: It is uniquely, publicly
and persistently tied to the receiving institution. The payor and payee
knows when payment is made using it, but it's not publicly visible.

That's the best I've got, but here are some alternate terms in case that
doesn't work:

- reusable public address
- permanent public address
- permanent address
- static address

I don't like these quite as much because they're not as clear. Normal
addresses are all reusable, permanent and static -- they just _shouldn't_
be used that way.

Ben

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Drak <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sorry this is possibly OT, but someone posted this thread to r/bitcoin and
> it's gone straight to position 1. People are really enthusiastic about this
> feature.
>
> Drak
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise Cloud Services.
> Learn Why More Businesses Are Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For
> Critical Workloads, Development Environments & Everything In Between.
> Get a Quote or Start a Free Trial Today.
>
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=119420431&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
> _______________________________________________
> Bitcoin-development mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development
>
>