Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Fees and the block-finding process

From: Adam Back <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 00:06:28 +0100

Please try to focus on constructive technical comments.

On 7 August 2015 at 23:12, Thomas Zander via bitcoin-dev
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> What will the backlash be when people here that are pushing for "off-chain-
> transactions" fail to produce a properly working alternative, which
> essentially means we have to say NO to more users.

But > 99% of Bitcoin transactions are already off-chain.  There are
multiple competing companies offering consumer & retail service with
off-chain settlement.

I wasnt clear but it seemed in your previous mail that you seemed to
say you dont mind trusting other people with your money, and so
presumably you are OK using these services, and so have no problem?

> At this time and this size of bitcoin community, my personal experience (and
> I've been part of many communities) saying NO to new customers

Who said no to anything?  The systems of off-chain transfer already
exist and are by comparison to Bitcoins protocol simple and rapid to
adapt and scale.

Indications are that we can even do off-chain at scale with Bitcoin
similar trust-minimisation with lightning, and duplex payment
channels; and people are working on that right now.

I think it would be interesting and useful for someone, with an
interest in low trust, high scale transactions, to work on and propose
an interoperability standard and API for such off-chain services to be
accessed by wallets, and perhaps periodic on-chain inter-service
netting.

Adam