Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] A Proposed Compromise to the Block Size Limit

From: Adam Back <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 14:37:57 +0200

On 28 June 2015 at 12:29, Benjamin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I agree that naive scaling will likely lead to bad outcomes. They might have
> the advantage though, as this would mean not changing Bitcoin.

Sure we can work incrementally and carefully, and this is exactly what
Bitcoin has been doing, and *must* do for safety and security for the
last 5 years!
That doesnt mean that useful serious improvements have not been made.

> Level2 and Lightning is not well defined. If you move money to a third
> party, even if it is within the constrained of a locked contract, then I
> don't think that will solve the issues.

I think you misunderstand how lightning works.  Every lightning
transaction *is* a valid bitcoin transaction that could be posted to
the Bitcoin network to reclaim funds if a hub went permanently
offline.  It is just that while the hubs involved remain in service,
there is no need to do so.  This is why it has been described as a
(write coalescing) write cache layer for Bitcoin.>

I believe people expect lightning to be peer 2 peer like bitcoin.

Adam