Subject: [Bitcoin-development] Network propagation speeds

From: Christian Decker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 17:20:22 +0100

Since this came up again during the discussion of the Cornell paper I
thought I'd dig up my measurement code from the Information
Propagation paper and automate it as much as possible.

The result is the Network Propagation page on bitcoinstats.com
(http://bitcoinstats.com/network/propagation/). It takes a daily
snapshot of the situation, then calculates the time until blocks and
transactions reach a certain percentile of the nodes in the network.
There is also a detailed page showing the density function describing
at what times nodes learn about the existence of a block/transaction
(for example yesterdays distribution:
http://bitcoinstats.com/network/propagation/2013/11/23).

I intend to add more information and plots over time, but I wanted to
push this out quickly as there were some people asking for it. Hope
this helps getting the blockchain fork rate down :-)

Regards,
Chris
--
Christian Decker