Subject: [bitcoin-dev] [BUG]: Bitcoin blockspace price discrimination put simple transactions at disadvantage

From: Greg Tonoski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:44:51 +0100

Blockspace price for data of a simple transaction is higher than the
one for data of other ("complex") transactions: 3 vs 1.49
"weight"/byte in the examples below:
- 3=616 "weight" / 205 bytes (txid:
aabbcce67f2aa71932f789cac5468d39e3d2224d8bebb7ca2c3bf8c41d567cdd)
- 1.49=1140 "weight" / 767 bytes (txid:
1c35521798dde4d1621e9aa5a3bacac03100fca40b6fb99be546ec50c1bcbd4a).

As a result, there are incentives structure distorted and critical
inefficiencies/vulnerabilities (e.g. misallocation of block space,
blockspace value destruction, disincentivized simple transaction,
centralization around complex transactions originators).

Price of blockspace should be the same for any data (1 byte = 1 byte,
irrespectively of location inside or outside of witness), e.g. 205/205
and 767/767 bytes in the examples above.

Perhaps, the solution (the same price, "weight" of each bit of a
transaction) could be introduced as part of the next version of Segwit
transactions.

Let's fix it. What do you think?