Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] F2Pool has enabled full replace-by-fee

From: Adrian Macneil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 07:00:56 -0700

>
> For instance, if Coinbase had
> contracts with 80% of the Bitcoin hashing power to guarantee their
> transactions would get mined, but 20% of the hashing power didn't sign
> up, then the only way to guarantee their transactions could be for the
> 80% to not build on blocks containing doublespends by the 20%.
>

This seems to be more of a problem with centralized mining than zeroconf
transactions.

Speaking of, could we get a confirmation that Coinbase is, or is not,
> one of the merchant service providers trying to get hashing power
> contracts with mining pools for guaranteed transaction acceptance? IIRC
> you are still an advisor to them. This is a serious concern for the
> reasons I outlined in my post.
>

We have no contracts in place or plans to do this that I am aware of.

However, we do rely pretty heavily on zeroconf transactions for merchant
processing, so if any significant portion of the mining pools started
running your unsafe RBF patch, then we would probably need to look into
this as a way to prevent fraud.

In the long term, I would love to see a safe, decentralized solution for
accepting zeroconf transactions. However, right now there is no such
solution supported by any wallets in use, and I don't think breaking the
current bitcoin behavior for everyone is the best way to achieve this.

Adrian