Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Speedy covenants (OP_CAT2)

From: "Russell O'Connor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 19:33:36 -0400

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 5:43 PM Anthony Towns <[email-masked]> wrote:

> For any specific opcode proposal, I think you still want to consider
>
>  1) how much you can do with it
>  2) how efficient it is to validate (and thus how cheap it is to use)
>  3) how easy it is to make it do what you want
>  4) how helpful it is at preventing bugs
>  5) how clean and maintainable the validation code is
>
> I guess to me CTV and APO are weakest at (1); CAT/CSFS falls down on
> (3) and (4); OP_TX is probably weakest at (5) and maybe not as good as
> we'd like at (3) and (4)?
>

FWIW, I think the rmain reasons to do CAT+CSFS is to validate oracle
messages and pubkey delegation.  The ability to covenants would be
secondary and would mostly serve to get us some real user data about what
sort of covenants users find especially valuable.