Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] OP_CODESEPARATOR Re: BIP Proposal: The Great Consensus Cleanup

From: "Russell O'Connor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 15:15:38 -0400

Increasing the OP_CODESEPARATOR weight by 520 (p2sh redeemScript size
limit) + 40 (stripped txinput size) + 8 (stripped txoutput size) + a few
more (overhead for varints) = 572ish bytes should be enough to completely
eliminate any vulnerability caused by OP_CODESEPARATOR within P2SH
transactions without the need to remove it ever.  I think it is worth
attempting to be a bit more clever than such a blunt rule, but it would be
much better than eliminating OP_CODESEPARATOR within P2SH entirely.

Remember that the goal isn't to eliminate OP_CODESEPARATOR per se; the goal
is to eliminate the vulnerability associated with it.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 12:47 PM Dustin Dettmer via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> What about putting it in a deprecated state for some time. Adjust the
> transaction weight so using the op code is more expensive (10x, 20x?) and
> get the word out that it will be removed in the future.
>
> You could even have nodes send a reject code with the message
> “OP_CODESEPARATOR is depcrecated.”
>