Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Making AsicBoost irrelevant

From: "Russell O'Connor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 21:23:21 -0400

Is the design and manufacturing processes for the most power efficient
ASICs otherwise patent unencumbered?  If not, why do we care so much about
this one patent over all the others that stand on the road between pen and
paper computation and thermodynamically ideal computation?

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Secondly, we can probably make the consensus PoW allow blocks to be
> mined using
> > both the existing PoW algorithm, and a very slightly tweaked version
> where
> > implementing AsicBoost gives no advantage. That removes any incentive to
> > implement AsicBoost, without making any hardware obsolete
>
> Taking that a step further, the old POW could continue to be accepted
> but with a 20% target penalty. (or vice versa, with the new POW having
> a 20% target boost.)
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>