Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] On a new community process to specify covenants

From: Ryan Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 05:09:57 +0000

+1  I'd participate.

Certain human/organizational limitations prevent things being said in
logged channels that sometimes can be shared in person.  Sometimes
people break through misunderstandings in person, through either
informal mingling or the use of Chatham House rules.  So I would also
advocate restarting the Scaling Bitcoin conferences, twice a year.

One request for the agenda:
I perceived a lot of "Oh, well it's also fine to just wait and see
what comes" in the prior discussions.  The idea that we should reopen
this discussion presumes that it is better to not wait, because having
even imperfect covenant designs will cause the ecosystem to explore
what use cases to allocate developer interest in (as long as the fees
are not too far off - yeah I'm looking at you, CSFS).  Because of
this, I also propose asking some of the more advanced scripting
technologists to reveal what of their work is currently science, what
is engineering, and what is product-oriented with understandable
delivery dates.  I think that if more people understood the answers to
these questions then there would be more room for incremental
exploration of the space.