Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Making the case for flag day activation of taproot

From: Ryan Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 14:51:12 +0000

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 7:32 PM Keagan McClelland via bitcoin-dev
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> So that leads me to believe here that the folks who oppose LOT=true
> primarily have an issue with forced signaling, which personally I
> don't care about as much, not the idea of committing to a UASF from
> the get go.

The biggest disconnect is between two goals: modern soft-fork
activation's "Don't (needlessly) lose hashpower to un-upgraded
miners"; and UASF's must-signal strategy to prevent inaction.

  https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2020-January/017547.html

This question dives to the heart of Bitcoin's far-out future.
Of two important principles, which principle is more important:

  - to allow everyone (even miners) to operate on the contract they
    accepted when entering the system; or

  - to protect against protocol sclerosis for the project as a whole?

Do miners have a higher obligation to evaluate upgrades than economic
nodes implementing cold storage and infrequent spends?  If they do,
then so far it has been implicit.  LOT=true would make that obligation
explicit.