Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Why are we bleeding nodes?

From: Drak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 18:07:09 +0100

For what it's worth, the number of nodes rose dramatically during the China
bullrun (I recall 45k in China alone) and dropped as dramatically as the
price after the first PBOC announcement designed to cool down bitcoin
trading in China.

On 7 April 2014 12:34, Mike Hearn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> At the start of February we had 10,000 bitcoin nodes. Now we have 8,500
> and still falling:
>
>    http://getaddr.bitnodes.io/dashboard/chart/?days=60
>
> I know all the reasons why people *might* stop running a node (uses too
> much disk space, bandwidth, lost interest etc). But does anyone have any
> idea how we might get more insight into what's really going on? It'd be
> convenient if the subVer contained the operating system, as then we could
> tell if the bleed was mostly from desktops/laptops (Windows/Mac), which
> would be expected, or from virtual servers (Linux), which would be more
> concerning.
>
> When you set up a Tor node, you can add your email address to the config
> file and the Tor project sends you emails from time to time about things
> you should know about. If we did the same, we could have a little exit
> survey: if your node disappears for long enough, we could email the
> operator and ask why they stopped.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Put Bad Developers to Shame
> Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
> Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
> Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees_APR
> _______________________________________________
> Bitcoin-development mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development
>
>