Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Draft BIP for Bloom filtering

From: Mike Hearn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:21:14 +0100

Here's a quick update on where we're up to.

Thanks to Matts excellent work, I was able to test his bitcoinj and
bitcoin-qt work together today. There are a few minor tweaks needed,
but I feel like we're maybe a week away from having all the code in a
mergeable state. Here is the remaining work:

- There are a couple of bugfixes needed on the bitcoinj side: the
fallback to downloading full blocks is problematic and needs to be
deleted, there's an API change we want

- Adjust the default FP rate requested by BCJ to be 0.0001, this is
appropriate for the latest blocks in the chain and yields 0-5 false
positives per block

- Introduce a new part to the filter protocol that allows clients to
control auto-expansion. This turned out to be very volatile, we saw
jumps from 0-3 FPs per block to 500 in the space of 1 block, perhaps
if a SatoshiDice transaction got into the filter. A simple yes/no flag
can suffice for now, but a better solution would be for the client to
submit templates for output scripts that would trigger auto-adding the
matched outpoint - autoexpansion is only needed in the case where the
input script doesn't contain any predictable data. For pay-to-address
and P2SH it does, so expansion doesn't help. Matt said he'd hopefully
try to look at this soon.

With auto-expansion disabled, the FP rate adjusted and a bugfix on the
bcj side I was able to sync a wallet using a bloom filtered chain.

Although it's tight, I think this work should go into 0.8 - it'll be
much more compelling to advertise it this way, we can say "Upgrade to
0.8 and help network performance for everyone". And in the case that
we discover a showstopper problem, we just don't deploy the code that
uses the new messages into clients.