Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Why are we bleeding nodes?

From: Mike Hearn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 20:23:36 +0200

>
> * Sent 456.5 gb data
>
> At my geographic service location (Singapore), this cost about $90 last
> month for bandwidth alone.

One of the reasons I initiated the (now stalled) PayFile project was in
anticipation of this problem:

https://github.com/mikehearn/PayFile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BXnWlnIi4&feature=youtu.be

At some point if you want to actually download and validate the full block
chain from scratch, you will have to start paying for it I'm sure.

In the meantime:

   1. Getting headers-first implemented and rolled out everywhere would
   reduce the amount of redundant downloading and hopefully reduce transmit
   traffic network-wide.
   2. Implementing chain pruning would allow people to control upload
   bandwidth consumption by reducing the amount of disk storage they allow.