Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Floating fees and SPV clients

From: Mike Hearn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 12:46:43 +0100

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>wrote:
>
> If users want to pay with a huge transaction then it seems to me the user
> should cover that cost. Allowing users to pay merchants with 100K
> transactions full of dust and expecting them to eat the cost seems like a
> great way to enable bleed-the-merchant-dry attacks.
>

A merchant can always refuse the payment and refund it if that's a
practical problem. I doubt it would be though. If a user is trying to buy
something from the merchant, they will want it to work, and it'll be up to
the developers of the wallet they're using to ensure it never does anything
obnoxious or unacceptable that would result in people hating to receive
money from that app.

> RE: hiding or showing fees:  I pointed out to Peter that there doesn't
> have to be One True Answer.  Let wallets experiment with either hiding or
> exposing fees, and may the best user experience win.
>

Sure. I think there will be experimentation in this regard.