Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Criminal complaints against "network disruption as a service" startups

From: Mike Hearn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 15:24:05 -0700

>
> Don't SPV clients announce their intentions by the act of uploading a
> filter?
>

Well they don't set NODE_NETWORK, so they don't claim to be providing
network services. But then I guess the Chainalysis nodes could easily just
clear that bit flag too.

> What I'd actually like to see is for network users to pay for the node
> resources that they consume

It's not quite pay-as-you-go, but I just posted a scheme for funding of
network resources using crowdfunding contracts here:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/5783#issuecomment-79460064

That comment doesn't have any kind of provision for access control, but
group signatures could be extended in both directions: the server proves it
was a part of the group that was funded by the contract, and the client
proves it was in group that funded the contract, but it's done in a
(relatively) anonymous way. Then any client can use any node it funded, or
at least, buy priority access.

But it's rather complicated. I'd hope that nodes can be like email
accounts: yes they have a cost but in practice people everyone gets one for
free because of random commercial cross-subsidisation, self hosting and
other things.