Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] DNS seeds returning gone peers

From: Mike Hearn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 14:00:51 +0200

Yeah, the limited number of slots doesn't help either. I wonder if the
current settings are too conservative.

Your seed returns quite a few IPs that don't respond to ICMP pings - not
sure what is happening there.

03:01:53 scott:~$ for ip in `dig +short dnsseed.bluematt.me`; do echo -n -e
"Testing $ip:   "; ping -c 1 $ip|grep 'packet loss'; done
Testing 24.7.158.162:   1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss,
time 0ms
*Testing 50.19.225.254:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet
loss, time 0ms
Testing 67.242.10.199:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet
loss, time 0ms
Testing 72.223.56.138:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet
loss, time 0ms
Testing 76.92.171.255:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet
loss, time 0ms
Testing 76.123.10.117:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet
loss, time 0ms
Testing 80.3.173.28:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss,
time 0ms
*Testing 80.101.109.52:   1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss,
time 0ms
Testing 93.186.32.117:   1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss,
time 0ms
*Testing 94.19.17.167:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet
loss, time 0ms
*Testing 97.86.39.50:   1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss,
time 0ms
Testing 113.255.177.241:   1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet
loss, time 0ms
Testing 118.208.226.66:   1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss,
time 0ms
Testing 173.180.141.86:   1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss,
time 0ms
*Testing 174.119.14.66:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet
loss, time 0ms
*Testing 178.18.129.133:   1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet
loss, time 0ms
*Testing 193.86.163.77:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet
loss, time 0ms
Testing 206.255.99.164:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet
loss, time 0ms
Testing 216.8.180.85:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss,
time 0ms
Testing 24.1.117.3:   1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss,
time 0ms*