Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Proposed alternatives to the 20MB step function

From: Mike Hearn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 13:26:40 +0200

>
> By the time a hard fork can happen, I expect average block size will be
> above 500K.
>

Yes, possibly.

> Would you support a rule that was "larger of 1MB or 2x average size" ?
> That is strictly better than the situation we're in today.
>

It is, but only by a trivial amount - hitting the limit is still very
likely. I don't want to see this issue come up over and over again. Ideally
never. We shouldn't be artificially throttling organic growth of the
network, especially not by accident.

IMO it's not even clear there needs to be a size limit at all. Currently
the 32mb message cap imposes one anyway, but if miners can always just
discourage blocks over some particular size if they want to.

But I can get behind a 20mb limit (or 20mb+N) as it represents a reasonable
compromise: the limit still exists, it's far below VISA capacity etc, but
it should also free up enough space that everyone can get back to what we
*should* be focusing on, which is user growth!