Subject: [Bitcoin-development] Zero-Conf for Full Node Discovery

From: Jim Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 23:06:38 -0500

Is there any work being done on using some kind of zero-conf service
discovery protocol so that lightweight clients can find a full node on the
same LAN to peer with rather than having to tie up WAN bandwidth?

I envision a future where lightweight devices within a home use SPV over
WiFi to connect with a home server which in turn relays the transactions
they create out to the larger and faster relays on the Internet.

In a situation where there are hundreds or thousands of small SPV devices
in a single home (if 21, Inc. is successful) monitoring the blockchain,
this could result in lower traffic across the slow WAN connection.  And
yes, I realize it could potentially take a LOT of these devices before the
total bandwidth is greater than downloading a full copy of the blockchain,
but there's other reasons to host your own full node -- trust being one.

--
*James G. Phillips IV*
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/113107039501292625391/posts>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/ergophobe>

*"Don't bunt. Aim out of the ball park. Aim for the company of immortals."
-- David Ogilvy*

 *This message was created with 100% recycled electrons. Please think twice
before printing.*