Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Fees and the block-finding process

From: Jim Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 16:30:40 -0500

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Pieter Wuille via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> But perhaps there is some "use" for ultra-low-priority unreliable
> transactions (... despite DoS attacks).
>

I can think of a variety of protocols that broadcast information and don't
really care about whether it gets delivered.. Think of everything that uses
UDP on TCP/IP. The most basic thing I can think of would be low-priority
notifications that are sent to the entire Bitcoin universe, but don't need
to persist. The protocol provides for a signed and thus verified message,
and a method for broadcasting it to every node that might be interested in
seeing it. If it never makes it into a block, so be it. If it does, so be
it.

--
*James G. Phillips IV*
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/113107039501292625391/posts>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/ergophobe>

*"Don't bunt. Aim out of the ball park. Aim for the company of immortals."
-- David Ogilvy*

 *This message was created with 100% recycled electrons. Please think twice
before printing.*