Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP 158 Flexibility and Filter Size

From: Olaoluwa Osuntokun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 20:12:09 -0700

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 2:44 PM Jim Posen via bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-

> Monitoring inputs by scriptPubkey vs input-txid also has a massive
>> advantage for parallel filtering:  You can usually known your pubkeys
>> well in advance, but if you have to change what you're watching block
>>  N+1 for based on the txids that paid you in N you can't filter them
>> in parallel.
>>
>
> Yes, I'll grant that this is a benefit of your suggestion.
>

Yeah parallel filtering would be pretty nice. We've implemented a serial
filtering for btcwallet [1] for the use-case of rescanning after a seed
phrase import. Parallel filtering would help here, but also we don't yet
take advantage of batch querying for the filters themselves. This would
speed up the scanning by quite a bit.

I really like the filtering model though, it really simplifies the code,
and we can leverage identical logic for btcd (which has RPCs to fetch the
filters) as well.

[1]:
https://github.com/Roasbeef/btcwallet/blob/master/chain/neutrino.go#L180