Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev]Yesterday’s UASF (LOT=true) kick off meeting

From: Ariel Luaces <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 18:18:29 -0800

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 12:25 PM Michael Folkson via bitcoin-dev
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> At this point in time it also appears the greatest risk to Taproot
> dying a slow death is a small group of developers who think talking in
> conservative tones and talking about endless philosophy makes Bitcoin
> a conservative system. (It doesn’t, it just makes it a dying, decaying
> one).

The current risk to taproot and all future activations is a loud
minority of users who are threatening to co-opt a LOT=false activation
by switching the parameter and organizing a marketing blitz that could
end in a fork if things don't go well.
As long as that threat persists consensus won't be reached. Then an
activation client probably won't be released because I don't expect
many devs will have an appetite for writing code that either doesn't
have consensus or code that will be manipulated into creating
consensus conflicts.
I think Bitcoin is fine staying as is until that minority forks off
with their own alt-node. If the UASF minority is dead set on creating
the alt-node then I only hope it's released quickly so the deadlock
can break. A quick UASF fork allows for an early LOT=false activation.

Cheers
Ariel Lorenzo-Luaces

> --
> Michael Folkson
> Email: [email-masked]
> Keybase: michaelfolkson
> PGP: 43ED C999 9F85 1D40 EAF4 9835 92D6 0159 214C FEE3
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev