Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP - Symbol for satoshi

From: Federico Tenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 19:10:41 +0100

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 11:13, Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> If Satoshi wanted the currency units named after him, he would simply
> have done it. I think this behaviour seems creepy and is harmful to
> Bitcoin.
>

I don't believe the will of Satoshi is particularly relevant on this
matter. Having a term everybody can converge on to express small amounts is
very important to improve the user experience, and satoshis seem to have
more chances to achieve this than scientific notations.

My main concern with satoshis as a unit is that it may sound weird/funny to
native Japanese speakers. It could probably be useful to have the opinion
of some of them on this topic.

Regarding the BIP to formalise the symbol for satoshi, I think that maybe
is better to wait for something to emerge with more widespread usage (e.g.
already used by some wallets or service providers). The linked proposal
does not seem to have sufficient support to be proposed as a standard.