Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Significant losses by double-spending unconfirmed transactions

From: Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:11:43 -0400

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Me via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Have you talk to them? If not, how can you be sure they don’t run large
> number of standard nodes and actually make the network stronger? Personally
> I never bring claims like this if I just assume. A lot of people in the
> community really trust you, do you realize you potentially hurt them for no
> reason?
>

Running normal full nodes only provides extra service to nodes
synchronizing and lightweight clients. It does not "make the network
stronger" in the sense that it does not reduce the trust the participants
need to have in each other.

It's such a misconception that running many nodes somehow helps. It's much
better that you run and control one or a few full nodes which you actually
use to validate your transactions, than to run 1000s of nodes in third
party datacenters. The latter only looks more decentralized.

-- 
Pieter