Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Duplicate transactions vulnerability

From: Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 17:41:03 +0100

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 17:48, Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've written about it in BIP30[2]. There is a patch for the reference
> client, which has been tested and verified to make the attack
> impossible. The change is backward compatible in the same way BIP16
> is: if a supermajority of mining power implements it, old clients can
> continue to function without risk.

After getting responses from Deepbit, bitcoin.cz (slush), MtRed, Bitlc
and BTCmine, it looks like march 15 is a reasonable deployment date
for the security update described in BIP 30.

I have created patches for:
* git master: https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin/tree/nooverwritetx
* v0.4.0: https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin/tree/nooverwritetx_v0.4.0
* v0.3.24: https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin/tree/nooverwritetx_v0.3.24
* v0.3.24+vinced:
https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin/tree/nooverwritetx_v0.3.24+vinced
* v0.3.19: https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin/tree/nooverwritetx_v0.3.19

I've asked pool operators to upgrade, and confirm when they have done
so. If you are a miner or pool operator, and have the ability to
upgrade, please do so as well.

Thanks,

-- 
Pieter